Description of the Managing Director Opportunity
Are you ready for a new challenge? Are you perhaps semi-retired, ex-military, on garden leave and/or looking to enter an exciting sector?
Based in Essex, my client is a start-up Community Interest Company (CIC) in the environment sector. The CIC Founder is passionate about the planet and reducing landfill by repairing, reusing and recycling white goods and furniture. The goods are either supplied to rehousing organisations or sold in a shop.
The CIC seeks an entrepreneurial managing director who will create a role for his/herself by using their managerial skills to turn the start-up into a thriving, profitable and growing business, by streamlining operations, introducing new accounts, applying for grants and growing existing and new revenue streams.
The role is voluntary at present, until the CIC has improved total revenue to support salaries.
The managing director will report to and work together with the CIC Founder.
Duties of the Managing Director
The managing director will be ultimately responsible for the day-to-day running of the company and its strategic direction.
- Turning the start-up into a profitable business.
- Devising a 5-year plan and ensuring its implementation.
- Leading the company and ensuring all employees and subcontractors buy into the company vision.
- Setting the overall strategic direction of the company.
- Planning and implementing short- and long-term business strategies to achieve the company’s objectives.
- Managing the financials, together with the accountant/bookkeeper to review the company’s financial performance.
- Working closely with the Operations/Marketing Director on sales strategy and approach to winning new business.
- Carrying out regular SWOT analysis to mitigate any potential risks through industry and market changes.
- Speaking at events and exhibitions on behalf of the company.
- Looking for opportunities to increase efficiencies and speed up processes across the business.
- Implementing new processes and procedures across the business.
- Setting company-wide KPI’s to gauge company performance in all areas.
- Working closely with the Sales Director to land large accounts.
- Setting company budgets and forecasts.
- Analysing opportunities for growth in market segments to drive profitability.
- Ability to apply for government tenders and grants.